Choosing the right attorney is important.
Finding a lawyer for a criminal issue is both overwhelming and scary. Who can you trust? Who will do the best job? This is why it is important for you to use review websites like Avvo.com and others so when you hire Newman & Cyr you know you're hiring a reputable, experienced, and trustworthy firm with a proven track record.
Your trusted team of attorneys.
Michael (Mike) Cyr is a partner at Newman & Cyr. Mike practices primarily in the areas of New York DWI defense, criminal defense, and traffic-related matters. He has represented clients in courts throughout the Finger Lakes region of New York, including the following counties: Tompkins, Chemung, Steuben, Cortland, Broome, Tioga, Madison, Schuyler, Yates, Seneca, and Cayuga. Mike also defends many students in the area (from Ithaca College, Cornell University, SUNY Binghamton University, and Tompkins -Cortland Community College (TC3)). He has authored the book, How to Graduate with a Degree and WITHOUT a Record: A New York College Student's Guide (2015). He has also co-authored with Larry Newman, Everything You Need to Know About a New York DWI and Your Driver's License (2015) and the Parents Guide to a DWI (2016). Mike is a member of the National College of DUI Defense, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New York State Defenders, New York State Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, New York Bar Association, and Tompkins County Bar Association. Mike is a graduate of Suffolk University Law School (Boston) and the NCDD's Summer DUI Session 2015 at Harvard Law School. He is licensed to practice in New York , Massachusetts, and Maine.
Lawrence (Larry) Newman is a partner at Newman & Cyr. He practices mainly in the area of New York DWI defense. He has represented clients in courts throughout the Finger Lakes region of NYS. He has co-authored several publications including the 2011 and 2013 editions of Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York. Dr. Newman also has degrees in chiropractic and human biology. He was also chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers. Larry is a member of the National College of DUI Defense, New York State Defenders, and National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is licensed to practice in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Florida.
Here are a few reasons our clients appreciate our representation:
- We are local DWI and Criminal Defense lawyers who "know the ropes" in the area of DWI and Criminal defense, and most especially in Tompkins County Courts. We also travel frequently to other counties that surround Ithaca, New York. You need an experienced attorney who keeps up with the latest legal cases and scientific information concerning New York cases.
- Unlike most generalist attorneys who handle many areas of law, or even "general criminal defense attorneys," almost every one of the cases for which we are retained are DWI or somehow related to driving or alcohol-abuse or drug abuse/possession. This enables us to give you the best possible representation for your Ithaca, Tompkins County, New York case.
- Accessible 24 hours a day/ seven days a week/ 365 days a year.
- Our clients receive our cell phone number: 607-229-5184
- (Our clients can fax and email directly to Mike's phone)
- We charge fair, reasonable, and flat-fees on DWI cases. There are no surprise costs.
- We represent YOUR interests and work to satisfy YOUR goals.
- We represent you at all DMV hearings (these are usually at the Cortland County Courthouse) and will advise you to help you restore your driving privileges.
- We accept checks, Visa, Mastercard, Amex, Discover and Paypal for DWI and criminal defense cases.
- We clearly and regularly communicate with you concerning your options at every stage of the case. Read our reviews to confirm this on Avvo.com.
- You will ALWAYS talk directly to an attorney (and not an associate or paralegal).
- We provide you with written information so that you can make informed and educated decisions throughout the process.
- Our practice focuses on Ithaca and Tompkins County cases. The majority of our retained clients are Ithaca, Tompkins County, New York DWI and criminal defense cases. New York DWI laws are complicated, and techniques in defending DWI are constantly changing. That is why it is important to find a lawyer who stays on top of the current laws, trends, and what occurs in Ithaca Courts every day. We are those lawyers.
- Furthermore, we concentrate our Continuing Legal Education on DWI and criminal defense specific seminars, rather than general law issues. This assures we always have the most current, up-to-date information from the best practitioners across the country to benefit our clients. You can find more information about some of our CLE attendance on www.ncdd.com. (National College for DUI Defense). We are never done learning or honing our skills.