How will this New York traffic ticket impact me, my life, my insurance, my license, and in what way(s)?


The Impact of UTT (Uniform Traffic Tickets) and Points in New York

As far as your New York State criminal record is concerned, all misdemeanors and felonies will stay on your permanent record forever (if you were 19 years old or older when committed). There is no expungement in New York for criminal convictions. Violations are sealed (including traffic tickets) in NY, except for three:

- DWAI (VTL 1192 (1)) Driving While Your Ability Was Impaired by Alcohol

- Solicitation of Prostitution

- Sexual Solicitation

As far as your NYS DMV record, there are four time frames you should be aware of:

- Drug and alcohol related traffic infractions (VTL 1192 (2) DWI per se BAC .08 or more, VTL 1192 (2) (a) (a) Aggravated DWI per se BAC .18 or more, VTL 1192 (3) DWI common law, VTL 1192 (1) DWAI, VTL 1192.4 DWAI drugs, VTL 1192.4(a) DWAI drugs and alcohol); These all stay on your DMV record for 10 YEARS.

- Violations/traffic infractions (not related to drugs or alcohol) stay on your NYS DMV record for 4 YEARS.

- All traffic violations (including alcohol and drug-related) can be held against you by NYS insurance carriers (under NYS law) for 3 YEARS.

- All traffic violations which carry points or the potential for suspension and /or revocation of license privileges (speeds, following too closely, etc.) have an 18 Month look back period. 

Everyone who has infractions in NYS will have them on their NYS DMV record. This is regardless of whether they hold residency in NYS or anywhere else. Canada (in particular Quebec and Ontario) have a point for point with NYS, except for our lowest level speeds (that fall below the Canadian kilometers level).

Not everything is cut and dried. There is more to know depending upon your specific situation, types of traffic infractions, Court, County, Judge, and your prior record.

What if you are from out of town? What if you are from out of the country? What if you just changed licenses? What if you plan on moving and changing licenses?

Always best to (at the very least) consult with an attorney, maybe you don't need to retain one.   This is not so much to always get an answer, but sometimes to ask "the right or better" question?

If you have questions about your specific traffic ticket in New York, call us: 607-229-5184.

Request a Free Consultation

Fill out the following form and one of our experienced attorneys will contact you in the next 24 hours to provide you with a free consultation. 

Name *
Mr. Cyr made it possible for me to be able to continue on with my future without a criminal charge.
— Faith