The New York Conditional License
If you are permitted to participate in the DDP (Drunk Driving Program), then, absent any aggravating factors, you are also eligible for a conditional license. Although there are limitations imposed on the holder of a conditional license, it does allow you to drive under the following conditions:
- To and from your employment and during employment when required;
- To and from a class or activity that is part of your rehabilitation program;
- To and from classes at an accredited school or vocational institute;
- To and from any court ordered probation activities;
- To and from the DMV for the transaction of business associated with the license or program;
- To and from medical treatment for yourself or a member of your household (requires a letter from a licensed medical practitioner);
- During a period of three consecutive daytime hours;
- To and from a place, including a school, where your children are cared for and that is necessary to maintain your employment or enrollment in school.
(See Section 1196(a) of the Vehicle and Traffic Law.)
The cost for the conditional license is approximately $75.00; this is in addition to the fee to enroll in the DDP (approximately $225.00). It will cost you an additional $25.00 to return your conditional license to the DMV. One third of all DDP attendees are sent for additional assessments and/or treatment. If the Department of Motor Vehicles determines that he/she is in need of additional counseling, failure to complete that treatment will result in the revocation of all driving privileges including revocation of a conditional license.